Cutouts, the latest project

This has been a very interesting summer thus far.  I normally paint in pastels, watercolors, and acrylics in the studio in the house.  I also do a few murals and other things.  However, when one of my clients commissioned me to paint the horse troughs, I began a studio in the barn as well.  When we built the barn about 8 years ago, that was one of my “someday” goals, to have a real studio there.  I dreamed it would be in the west end of the expansive hay loft, complete with heat and air and a small water closet on the lower level.

art, studio
Art studio in the aisle of the barn with the finished horse troughs

Upon finishing the troughs, my client asked if I could possibly paint some wooden cutouts she had of hunt figures.  I said I would see what I could do.

painting on wood
Wooden cutouts awaiting paint (fox has primer coat)

She brought them out and I spent the next month painting life sized cutouts of Masters of the Hounds,  fox hounds, and foxes.  It is interesting to work on these as you have to use the shape that has been formed for you.  Once I got going though, I was quite pleased with how they turned out.

Master of the hounds, foxhunting
Masters of the Hounds partially complete
fox hunting, master of the hounds
A completed Master of the Hounds ready for shipping

 

I painted them with latex house paint, using only about 8-10 base colors from which I mix the myriad of other colors needed.  Once complete, I coat them with polyurethane.  Each figure had two bases which also needed paint and coating upon which they will stand upright.

fox hound, art
Fox hound with the bases attached. I painted the bottom of the figures and the bases to look like grass.

This week I delivered 2 foxes, 6 Masters of the Hounds, and 9 Fox Hounds to my client.   She was delighted.  Now I have 8 more foxes to do, plus I am looking into some more horse troughs!   Looks like the animals might have to move out!

artist, fox hounds, studio
The artist with 3 of the fox hound cutouts ready to ship. They are on one of the two easels my husband built on either side of the aisle with the paint tables in the center of the aisle.

 

 

Advertisements

Finished!

Here are the last two horse troughs.  I finally finished them and then put a coat of polyurethane on them.  The client is going to use them for flowers at horse shows.

horse trough with fox painting
This is side A of the fox trough
horse trough with fox painting
Here is side B
horse trough with hound painting
This is side A of the hounds trough
horse trough with hound painting
Side B of the hounds

The client was very happy and I am looking forward to doing more of these!

3 finished horse troughs
All 3 troughs finished and ready for delivery

 

Background work on horse troughs #1 & #2

Here are the photos of the background work on horse troughs 1 & 2.  All of my work on these troughs is done in acrylics.  At this point I am also just painting, no airbrush, projectors, etc, just letting the troughs dictate what goes where.

acrylic painting on horse troughs
This is the start of the background work
acrylic painting on horse troughs
Here, things are finally starting to take on a bit of shape
acrylic painting on horse troughs
This is a closeup of the background

The background for troughs 1 & 2 are very similar.

acrylic painting on horse troughs
More detail of background

 

Horse trough #3 side A

Here are a few photos of side A of horse trough #3:

horse trough full view
Full view of side A

This is a 3/4 shot of side A.  The light was glaring bad even with the doors shut in the barn/studio.

detail on horse trough
Smaller horse and rider on side A

Here I am blocking in the horse, the rider is almost finished.

horse trough acrylic painting
“All I need is a good horse”

Beginning second horse and rider.

Next Phase

horse trough, base coat
Applying the base coat

Here, I am applying the base coat on top of the

horse trough, next layer
This one will be a different scene from the other two

They will have a fox and hound hunt theme to them, with each having a different scene.  I have painted the background for the sky on this one.

horse trough, next step
Background for the other two

This is the first of many layers for the image.  Two will be a woodland scene which I am starting on this one.  It is definitely not a flattering phase of the painting, but it is all part of the process.

First Step

horse trough, adhesion primer, art
Setup for painting on the horse troughs

Here is my setup for painting on the horse troughs.   They are old, with a bit of rust (okay, maybe a lot of rust on one), and are dented from being kicked around and who knows what.  I have cleaned them and applied the rust killer.  This is a photo of the adhesion primer that goes on to aid in the adhesion of the paint.