First of all, I am way behind on posts! Busy but good summer, lot of humidity but up until today, we have been way below normal temps. Like I said, until today. We are definitely making up for it. Now to get off the rabbit trail.
My client that I did the old door for was extremely pleased, and had also dropped off a large metal tub with a lid. Someone called it an old double boiler, (if you know what it is, I would love to have you post it in the comments!), and it was beat up enough that the lid would just barely sit there, then if you bumped the tub it would fall in.
There were also a few rust spots, some that were pretty stubborn in the bottom. I cleaned it up and bumped out the dents and actually got the lid where it sits pretty well. We weren’t really sure what we wanted to do with it, when my client asked if I could put the geraniums and ivy on this piece too. Once the bonding primer was on, I set to work painting it with latex house paint.
For the handles, lip, and inside of the tub and lid I painted it to look like old metal, maybe a weathered copper or old bronze look. To complete the work I finished the insides and handles with a couple of coats of spar urethane to help protect against possible scratches, although care should still be taken with it.
I was rather pleased with the project as was my client. Now on to the next project! Look for the pastel portrait of a tabby cat I am finishing. I think you will like it! Happy painting!